Thursday, February 24, 2011

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.

"At the end of the day, when it comes down to it, all we really want is to be close to somebody. So this thing where we all keep our distance and pretend not to care about each other, it's usually a load of bull. So we pick and choose who we want to remain close to, and once we've chosen those people, we tend to stick close by. No matter how much we hurt them. The people that are still with you at the end of the day, those are the ones worth keeping. And sure, sometimes close can be too close. But sometimes, that invasion of personal space, it can be exactly what you need." - Grey's Anatomy.

I'm so overwhelmed... in a good way. I forced myself to try to go to sleep by 11 last night, but I checked on K before I got into bed. He was HOT.. temperature was 101 and by the time I took it a half hour later it was 103.6. I gave him the appropriate dose of tylenol and called the ER- they suggested I give him motrin (which I was, of course, out of). I called my neighbor and she was out too.. basically, her family brought me some (I felt awful, but they were great about it). I gave him a luke warm bath and a popsicle and moved his bed into my room. I was terrified to let him sleep with me because I am already like a space heater- didn't wanna bring his temp back up. After the motrin it went back down and I just got up every hour to check on him... he was fever free till he got up at 9, and motrin took care of that. He seems to be feeling a lot better today, so we're just home (avoiding our winter storm- go awayyy!) coloring and taking it easy. I'm trying to get some cleaning done and get ready for our multi-family garage sale.

I am so grateful to have friends like that... the kind of friends who would literally go to walmart for me at midnight to bring my sick baby ibuprofen so I don't have to wake up my OTHER baby and take them out in the cold in the middle of the night. There's nothing I could ever do to deserve it- or to pay them back. I'm just blessed... I've never had a friend like that before. Or at least not one I lived close to. This past 7 or so months has been REALLY difficult at times and I'm constantly being told how well I'm handling it and how they don't know how I do it. The truth is, I can't take credit for it. I have a truly amazing support system between my family, my "people" [grey's reference!] and a husband who is there for me even when he can't be here for me. The abilities I do have- the credit goes to God, I have nothing to do with them. I'm just blessed. And thankful. I'm looking for opportunities now to pay it forward... because as people, I think that's all we can do. :)

K's feeling a lot better this afternoon... I got him to eat something and he's drinking plenty of fluids. He and Em have trains and cars all over his room and they're playing well with very little arguing. Thank goodness! I'm so ready for spring- this winter weather is beautiful, but it's time to put it away for now. I'm ready for garage sales (having one and going to), a roadtrip to texas with our other family to see my hubby and his family... spring clothes and days at the pool and park!





That's all. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad he's ok!! I had my first experience with a middle of night fever (104+) the other night!! I was terrified!!! I sat in the er half the night alone and it was a scary experience... I'm so glad you've got friends like that!! I'm glad I didn't have to bundle up anyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post - especially the title! You certainly are courageous whether you choose to be or not. Character is defined by actions (qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity - per dictionary.com), and you are a person of great character!

    ReplyDelete