Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Moving on is simple, what you leave behind that makes it difficult.

"Friendship must never be buried under the weight of misunderstanding."

"We all lose friends.. we lose them in death, to distance and over time. But even though they may be lost, hope is not. The key is to keep them in your heart, and when the time is right, you can pick up the friendship right where you left off. Even the lost find their way home when you leave the light on."

I think I have somewhat reached one of my goals for my cooking challenge. Instead of scrambling at mealtime (for lunch) and just giving up and eating out, I am able to get creative and put together meals that my children enjoy, and that I'm proud of. Especially since we discovered that there's a serving of vegetables in their ravioli. ;) Seriously though... last night could've been dreadful. I wasn't hungry at dinnertime and didn't particularly feel like cooking a full meal. I decided to make tacos... started to brown the meat only to discover that I didn't have (or couldn't find) my taco seasoning. Seriously? So... I seasoned it myself with what I had and it was a success. They actually ate it better than when I DO use the pre-made seasoning AND I didn't use all the extra salt. We haven't had fast food (I'm proud to say) in almost 2 weeks. I'm a big time "on the go" person so even though it's generally some sort of chicken with apples and water for them, it's still food that I haven't prepared and have no control over what goes into it. It's not exactly cost effective when it comes down to it either, it all comes down to impulse and convenience. I'm thankful for what I learned and that the kids seem to be really enjoying and appreciating the home cooked meals. K actually ate roast last week- he thought it was steak and I didn't have the heart to correct him. Especially when he asked for seconds. Emily would eat my scrambled eggs every day if I put them in front of her... which is HUGE because until last October, I couldn't make eggs at all (except boiled). I think I've hit a plateau... which means it's time to start REALLY trying new things and leaving my comfort zone.

I'm starting to feel restless. I'm ready for an adventure... I want to do something new and exciting. I'd love to do something fun with the kiddos, but I also sort of feel like they're old enough to stay with grandparents for a couple days... I'd like a small getaway with my hubby. We've been married over 3 years, together for 4 and known each other for 5 and we've still not had anything like that, not even a honeymoon. I want to do something we will both enjoy- but my secret vote is for the wizarding world of Harry Potter. I've been a fan since middle school and who doesn't love amusement parks? It's on my bucket list regardless. Something I MUST do before I die.

I think it's time to snap a few pics of the kiddos in their matching KU outfits. :)




Thought for the day:
When something upsets you, take a few hours... or even days to calm down, cool off and clear your head. Then go back to the problem and evaluate the situation again. It's amazing how much things change when you're not filled with emotion and/or adrenaline from the stress of whatever was troubling you. Things tend to be a lot more promising- or at least seem more possible. Some things happened recently that were hurtful (to more than just me) and very difficult. Upon further consideration, I've realized that now is just not the time- but that I DO believe there will be one soon. I needed to see things logically and for what they were. To accept my mistakes and those made that were not my own. None of it is as big now as it seemed then. Finding myself much more at peace with the entire thing... and able to let time heal. Closing yourself off and not facing a situation was MY easy way. Don't take it... it leads to nothing but more hurt and regret. Leave yourself open to new possibilities and allow your loved ones to help you. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. It is awesome that you completed a year of stepping outside of your box and cooking new meals! We made a new years resolutions this year of no fast food in 2011. We have made it through the whole month of January and I really don't miss it! I really don't miss the guilt I felt every time I watched my kids eat fried food AGAIN!! Keep up the good work with those kiddos! You are doing an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete