Friday, September 2, 2011

the little things.

It feels like I spend a lot of time feeling overwhelmed. It's not a complaint, it's just a fact. I will be the first to admit that sometimes it's an "I'm drowning" sensation- there's laundry to be done, meals to be cooked, spills to be cleaned up, floors to vacuum, dogs to be cared for and all the while being followed around with "Mom, mom, mom" or "Mom, I want" or "Mom, can you?" I enjoy these things (most of the time) because it means so much that my husband gives me the opportunity to be with my kids every day. Other days, I have to excuse myself to my room to breathe, or cry. Equally overwhelming is how much love these tiny people give and create in a household.

I cannot believe my son will start school next year. Seriously? WHERE has the time gone? My husband came home a day sooner than the kids and I knew about and surprised us yesterday. We had lunch, took the kids to the park, went for a swim and just had fun. It was nice to sit down and eat as a family- things a lot of people take for granted, I know that before this last 14 months, I did. Afterwards my amazing husband helped me knock out some party prep stuff in the kitchen (i.e. he did my dishes. that's love) while I punched out almost 40 cutouts from a "Disney Princess" party decoration book. Then we decided to just... go to walmart. Something I never do after 5 p.m. because the thought of it being busy and taking the kids isn't my idea of a good time. So we went, returned and rented a movie at redbox, got some things I needed for the party and of course, daddy spoils the babies a bit. However, this was now 9 p.m. and my little princess is used to 7:30 p.m. bedtime. It was nearing 9:30 by the time we finally got back in the driveway and as soon as I lifted her from her carseat, she crashed on my shoulder. I couldn't even bring myself to put her in her bed. I will admit that I sat in the dark for a good half hour (like a sap) and might've shed a few tears. How is it possible that my -baby- will be 3 on Monday? Where does the time go? I am sure there were moments I took for granted, but I made it a point to enjoy things a little more with her because I wanted to give her the mother daughter relationship I've never had. I took the time to brush her hair and paint her nails. We bake together and we snuggle on the couch. We play outside (obviously besides the girly stuff, my son is included in all of this as well) and go shopping. She's my little mini me, and 98% of the time, she's my shadow. It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, she's content to just be there [currently snuggled up against my side watching her "Dora" and telling me to "Mommm, SAYYYY 'backpack'!"] I guess what I'm saying- is that if I've gotten to spend every single day of their lives with them, making a point to enjoy these moments and it's STILL overwhelming to see them getting older and knowing that in 2 short years she will be off to school, how difficult must it be for those who never take the time to appreciate their kids until it's too late? My son is all about snuggling before bed these days, and thanks to my awesome best friend, he has a big enough bed for us to do that. There are nights when I won't lie, I'm exhausted and I just don't feel like it- but I know that a day will come sooner than later when he won't want that anymore. My husband and I are so blessed with these two amazing kids. I cannot get enough of this family time... they make me so happy. Seeing them playing at the park and getting to share our pool time is so fulfilling. Like I said, it's the little things you take for granted. It's the little things you miss.

Watched "Madea's big happy family" with the hubbs last night. It's a perfect combination of comedy and depth. I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys Tyler Perry movies, or who is looking for movies with little to no profanity. It's implied though, I will be honest. Tyler Perry is definitely one of the "cleanest" film-makers out there right now though.

My baby girl had her first haircut yesterday! It was more of a trim to clean up her ends, but she did SO great, I was so proud. She cried for about a minute and then she sat there like it was the most natural thing in the world. Our son flailed and kicked and screamed for his first year of haircuts and even made a girl cut herself because he was resisting so... intensely.










T-minus one day til party time!

Life is GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment